On Saturday 12 July 2003 20:45, Meka[ni] wrote:
> On Saturday 12 July 2003 09:22, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> > Using those CFLAGS (athlon-mp instead of xp...typo), I did a base
> > install of Gentoo. The bootstrap took 49 minutes. The 'emerge system'
> > took 50 minutes. I love this system! :)
> >
> > Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> > > I'm installing Gentoo on a dual Athlon MP 2200 system that I just
> > > built. What CFLAGS are other people with this type of hardware using?
> > > <http://www.freehackers.org/gentoo/gccflags/flag_gcc3.html> recommends:
> > >
> > > CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
> > > CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> > > CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
> > >
> > > Are these good enough? This machine will be a production server, so
> > > nothing overly agressive. Thanks.
>
>       Maybe adding -ffast-math would'n be bad. It is not agresive even for those
> programs that are CFLAGS buggy, but it means a lot for the performance.
> Good luck. :o)

I have an Athlon XP 1800+ and am using CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O2 -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=sse". I was using -O3 but read that it can be
slower than -O2 on systems that don't have a large CPU cache. I believe that
the cache on my system is only 64K and so tried recompiling everything with
-O2 and have found it to be significantly faster.

Jason