I don't know anything about squirrelmail but I have used
sylpheed-claws and mutt for some time. They can share the same mail
folder if you set the mailbox type in .muttrc to be MH. However there is
a small problem with marking the mails as read, unread or replied. Eg.
If you read your mails with mutt and then open sylpheed all those mails
will appear again as unread. If you don't mind that, there should be no
problem.