Ian Delahorne wrote:

> Which 802.11{b,g} PCI cards work well with (gentoo) Linux? More
> specifically, which D-Link or NetGear cards work well?

My notebook has a WLAN mini PCI card. 'lspci' says it has a prism 2.5
chipset: '02:05.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5
Wavelan chipset (rev 01)'

The linux-wlan-ng drivers work with kernel 2.4, but I didn't get it going
with latest 2.6 yet. I also have apm suspend problems it, after a resume
the network connection is broken.

This chipset is also supported by the kernel build-in orinoco_pci driver.
This works with kernel 2.4 and 2.6. I think, it is always a good situation
to have the choice between two or more drivers.

The linux-wlan-ng configuration is well documented and straight forward. For
these orinoco stuff I actually wonder where to put the iwconfig calls to
set essid, encryption, etc. I put it into net.eth1, but don't feel
comfortable with it. PCMCIA user have the /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts file
for that purpose. But what if you have a pci card?

However, Prism 2.5 chipset seems to be reasonable choice.

regards
Martin