It somewhat depends on which sub-model you have. I have a G550 card with
one analog (traditional vga) and one digital (DVI) output socket. In
console mode both ouputs work fine (although being somewhat pointless,
since they show exactly the same output), but I have never been able to
get the DVI output work with X.

If you want to try, you should start out by downloading Matrox's
proprietary X modules from their homepage, and by reading the somewhat
cryptical instructions there. X has no native support for the DVI output
on G550 (this is stated explicitly on XFree86's homepage).

If someone else managed to get DVI output to work with X on a G550, I'm
very interested in knowing how that happened. :-)

(My attempt is a few months old, so it is possible something has been
updated since then too)

  // Joel