On July 28, 2003 04:22 pm, Prabhat Gupta wrote:
> I am planning to buy a desktop for (home) video editing and off course I
> will do a lot of compiling, listening to music etc.
>
> What processor would be good:
>
> 1. Pentium 4 with Hyper Threading
> 2. Pentium 4  (plain vanilla)
> 3. Athlon XP

while i haven't had a lot of linux experience in video editing, i can tell you
that most of the software in the windows world was developed with intel in
mind.  most of the mainstream encoders actually optimise their binaries for
intel architectures (a big pissoff for an athlon user like myself).

whether this is the case or not in the linux world (espeically since gentoo
will let you optimise for your own architecture) i'm not sure.  also, i'm
sorry to say, the video editing world in linux isn't nearly as ready as osX
or even windows, so if i was getting a new toy to do video editing, then i'd
probably do a dual boot win/linux on an intel box since i hate mac's so very
much.

...that is, if i didn't have $6000 and could get gentoo on the new g5...  then
i'd dual boot osX (for the video software) / linux.

--
I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their
lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things