Howdy folks.  This isn't really gentoo specific, but....

I have a large RAID5 array (3x80G) shared via NFS to allow access to
photos and music from my other computers on my gentoo stable server.
When copying a large number of files over to that system, I'm noticing
a HUGE jump in load.  I'm getting a load of 7.5 on the server right now,
and I'm just copying files from the client to the server's NFS share.

The server has the directory shared with this line in /etc/exports
/mnt/share/pictures     192.168.2.0/24(all_squash,rw,sync)

The RAID5 array is defined as

raiddev /dev/md1
        raid-level              5
        nr-raid-disks           3
        nr-spare-disks          0
        persistent-superblock   1
        chunk-size              32
        device                  /dev/hdf1
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/hdg1
        raid-disk               1
        device                  /dev/hdh1
        raid-disk               2

And the filesystem is mounted in fstab as

/dev/md1                /mnt/share      ext3            noatime 0 0

DMA is emabled on the drives, and hdparm -Tt /dev/md1 gives me

/dev/md1:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.38 seconds = 92.75 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.70 seconds = 37.65 MB/sec

I'm also seeing 12mb/s transfer rate through the 100mb hub I have (which
isn't great, but isn't horrible either :)

I'm seeing high load from raid5d, kjournald and nfsd in top and I'm
guessing (hoping) that there's a simple fix for this.  It's not a huge
deal, but it's still annoying.

alan

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net