On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 16:50, Thomas Schweikle wrote:
> Hi!
>
> after some tryal i could manage having a running kernel 2.6-beta2 with
> gentoo. Only one problem remaining:
>
> lvm isn't working any more. Is it missing from this kernel?

Yes, lvm has been removed from the 2.6.x kernels. And I was unable to
find lvm patches for the 2.6.x series on the Sistina site, home of the
makers of linux-lvm.
There are two things you can do, both of which require you to include
the device-mapper in your kernel (in the Multi-device support (RAID and
LVM) section):
-LVM2
-EVMS (which is what I used) http://evms.sourceforge.net/

One thing that I did not find so easy with EVMS was getting my
/etc/fstab right. The rest of the installation instructions are rather
straight-forward.
The entries in /etc/fstab that worked for me were:

# --------- to be used with LVM (kernel 2.4.21)

/dev/vg_gentoo1/lv_root_gentoo  /       reiserfs
noatime                 0 0
/dev/vg_gentoo1/lv_usr_gentoo   /usr    reiserfs
noatime                 0 0
/dev/vg_gentoo1/lv_tmp_gentoo   /tmp    reiserfs
noatime                 0 0

# ---------- end of LVM config

# ------ to be used with EVMS (kernel 2.6.x)

#/dev/evms/lvm/vg_gentoo1/lv_root_gentoo        /       reiserfs
noatime                 0 0
#/dev/evms/lvm/vg_gentoo1/lv_usr_gentoo /usr    reiserfs
noatime                 0 0
#/dev/evms/lvm/vg_gentoo1/lv_tmp_gentoo   /tmp  reiserfs
noatime                 0 0

# ------- end of EVMS config

HTH.

Wouter