[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
now back to the subject of my email. When installing gentoo I could setup the adsl-connection (provider is the german telecom) on the installation-environment (The one which is only temporary and only exists in the core) without the slightest hassle. I just set up the whole thing with rp-pppoe (root# adsl-setup) and triggered off the internet connection with root# adsl-start .
everything worked fine and I chrooted to my real gentoo environment and proceeded with downloading and installing software. After kernel-compilation (I made sure all internet-related protocols and the ethernet-driver <"sis900.o"> were selected) I rebooted but could not get the internet going. while booting, the kernel told me that it could not bring up the eth0 (my ethernet card).Then I thought, maybe there is something special about the gentoo kernel and tried the following: I just started from CD again and copied the kernel config file of the CD-Version to my own kernel with:
root# cat /proc/config > /usr/src/linux/.config I then changed a few values regarding the filesystems and soundsupport etc. and recompiled the kernel! Everything seemed fine "I didn't get any error messages on startup like couldn't bring up Eth0 again" but again I couldn't trigger off any internetconnection.
after trying adsl-start there allways comes .... TIME OUT > ... . I tried various things from re-configuration of rp-pppoe to reinstalling software and recompiling the Kernel-values. Nothing seems to help. The funny thing is it is possible for me to bootup the installation-Cd and chroot from there to my real gentoo environment without setting up the pppoe on the cd-environment

Ok, first off, did you follow the steps in the Install Guide to setup your LAN IP? Set it to something like 192.168.0.1. Second, make sure you enable *ALL* PPP related options in the kernel, including the ones that say something about serial line. I had this same issue.

--
Andrew Gaffney