I have a nasty keyboard problem. I had KEYMAP="us" in /etc/rc.conf, and
changed it to KEYMAP="pt-latin1". I didn't use the US layout without
changes (I need accents and stuff like that), and I don't want to use the
portuguese layout (which is a crap). What I did before, and would like to
keep doing, is to customize some keys to my liking, via xmodmap. In
particular, I
want to get rid of the KeyCaps key and use it as ModeSwitcher. This worked
before, but not any longer: I keep facing a unwelcome KeyCaps key. What is
puzzling is that xev agrees with the wanted behavior and not with the
actual behavior! According to xev, the key with keycode 66 (the one just
under tab and above shift) should work as ModeSwitcher:

KeyRelease event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 4424081, (71,695), root:(74,724),
    state 0x2, keycode 66 (keysym 0xff7e, Mode_switch), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:  ""

My .bashrc has a line
      xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
, where .Xmodmap contains:
(...)
clear Lock
keycode 66 = Mode_switch
(...)

Any idea? Or anyone knows of some good documentation about keyboard
customizing?
--
Jorge Almeida