begin  quote
On 09 Aug 2003 08:22:05 -0400
"Lincoln A. Baxter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Look that this command....
>

> tar -clf - | ( cd /mnt/altroot/ & tar -xvf - )
>
> See what's wrong? Yep... on one amper...
> Result: completely fubared root file system. (this command makes empty
> files of every file in the root file system).  I did kill it before it
> completed... but I know the system will not boot.
>
> I was able recover things (using the RESCUE tar ball in
> /usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/file...)
>
> I was able to restore /usr/bin and /lib from an other system so that
> emerge would run.
>
> I was able to emerge portage
>
> I was able to emerge -e world... and it completed about 34 of the 482
> packages to be rebuilt before it traced back on file that should have
> been a directory in /var/tmp/portage... while emerging xfree-4.3.
>
> Then emerge was broken again:
>
> It just segfaults with no information.
>
> So I did the resume tar ball again...
>
> But to now avail.  it just segfaults:
>
> # emerge portage
> Segmentation fault
> #
>
> Any ideas on where to go from here?
>
> Am I stuck? and starting over with a fresh install in my alternate
> root?

I guess you are daring right now, so just fetch a stage2 tarball for
your architecture, untar that (dont forget ownership flags when
untarring) and you should be able to get something working again.

then do "emerge system" (not -e world) and after that things should
start becoming better.

Other than that, the command you just pasted would have messed up your
altroot anyhow, you didn't preserve ownership properly

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!