From: Spider [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 12:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Normal applications under OpenMosix?

begin  quote
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:59:35 +0100
Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11/8/03 5:40 pm, "Jeffrey Smelser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I ran a 3 cluster system and things migrate constantly..
> >
> > What's nice is that any application you run, can be migrated. It
> > doesn't matter what you run.. you can also tell it to run things on
> > nodes.. Just about anything.
>
> You seem to be well-positioned to answer questions from the floor.
>
> I read recently that (Open)Mosix didn't migrate compilation processes,
> because they're too short-lived. Is this true..?

Thats true, They are short-lived and IO intensive (lots of reads) which
both penalize them.
(snort however,  migrated. )

> Can you tell us please how you deal with this..? Do you run distcc on
> your nodes..?

Distcc is the best for cases like this, yes.

I'd recommend setting it up a bit harder than normally.. 2*CPU+1  in
MAKEOPTS, and make sure that the compiling hosts accept 2-6
connections.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!