On Thursday 07 August 2003 03:06 pm, Gentoo wrote:
> eList,
>
>       Hi everybody..
>
>       Every time I use emerge -S to look for something I've got to wait an
> eternity for results to appear.. so .... I feed up with this and I was
> thinking to turn the whole portage system (the pseudo database I mean) into
> mysql, what do you think about that?
>
>       As far I could see It's not so hard to translate. In this moment I'm
> writing a bash script (no pyhton knowledge sorry) to try to full the mysql
> database with the portage data.
>
>       And obviusly the benefits are a lot.
>
>       So.. I'm expecting your thoughts about this.

There are many _VERY_ long threads about this.  Please dig through the
archives.  I do not want another long thread like this to start up again -
it's just not bandwidth-smart.

I will summate the thread though: MySQL is too big and cumbersome, OpenLDAP
would be the best solution; however, it is not feasable to be implemented any
time soon.

--
Zack Gilburd
 http://tehunlose.com