I was told this CPU was an XP by my vendor. Why does it not say in the
model name that it is an XP see cat cpuinfo bellow.

It is currently running redhat and I would like to install Gentoo on it
but I am wondering which optimization flags I should use?

I was hoping

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

would be safe and

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -m3dnow -msse -mfpmath=sse -mmmx -O3
-pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops
-frerun-cse-after-loop
-frerun-loop-opt -falign-functions=4 -maccumulate-outgoing-args
-ffast-math
-fprefetch-loop-arrays"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

would be pushing the limit.

Thanks in advance.

This is my cat cpuinfo

[EMAIL PROTECTED] proc]# cat cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1110.953
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2215.11

I was expecting something more like this

cat /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1533.411
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
                  cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext
                  3dnow
bogomips        : 3060.53