On Wednesday 13 August 2003 13:46, Rex Young wrote:
> >I have baselayout-1.8.6.10, kernel 2.6.0-test3-mm1, and
> >util-linux-2.12.
> >Upon installing util-linux-2.12, I was no longer able to
> >remount my root
> >filesystem for checkroot to work on boot. I really should be able to
> >just "mount -n -o remount,ro /" or use /dev/root, or whatever is in
> >/proc/mounts, /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.
> >
> >Only when I use the old-style block device name (ie /dev/hde5) do I get
> >something other than "device not mounted" or some such. If I
> >use that, I
> >get complaints of the filesystem being busy.
> >
> >Has anyone else encountered this problem?
>
> Yes.  This also ocurred using 2.6.0-test2-mm5.  I can remount it
> manually, but that's a little annoying.  When it prompts for the
> password for maintenance, I enter it then issue:
>
> mount -o remount,rw /dev/root /.
>
> I've also used /dev/hde7 to reference the device when remounting it and
> had no problem.

I have had *similar* problems with 2.6.0-test1 and with one of the other 2.4
series kernels.  I cannot remember the exact details and haven't set down
to figure out what is going on.

With one of the 2.4 series kernels, I noticed that I could not issue 'mount
-o remount,rw /'.  I had to issue the full command.

With the 2.6.0-test1 series kernel I could not use any of the devices
(/dev/sda3, /dev/sda3 or /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3) in
/etc/fstab or on the command line to mount the root partition.