Greetings all,

I am new to Gentoo, and looking forward to all that it will offer, after
having run various RedHat boxes over the last couple of years.

I've eagerly performed a fresh install on one of my old machines, but am
having no luck getting the thing to boot.  I've followed the x86 install
doc from the web site, so I'm pretty sure all my steps are correct.  I
suspect there is some hardware issue, but I don't know.

The system will boot the kernel partway before crapping out with a kernel
panic ("Attempted to kill init!").

If I boot with no paramaters, the last thing it prints before death is
"USB Mass Storage support registered. ---- Detected usb-storage
hardware".  (This is interesting, because there is no USB hardware
attached, but maybe that's really just part of the base USB detection?)

Suspecting something wack with the USB, I've then tried booting with the
"nousb" paramater at the lilo prompt.  This time obviously the usb stuff
is skipped, but the kernel panic happens just the same; the last line
before failure is "---- Scanning for sim710...sim710: No NCR53C710
adapter found."

I've tried this both with gentoo-sources and gs-sources, and the result
is the same.

Hardware: ASUS a7v (a7pro?) board, 64 mb ram, ATI expert99 rage128 AGP.
I do have two identical DLink 10/100 ethernet cards installed at the
moment, but at least the one I connected to net was working fine.
Obviously, the liveCD boots up fine since that's how I did the install to
begin with.

Any suggests?

-ben

--