On Monday 11 August 2003 22:01, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> Which kernel for a brave little Gentoo server running Zope and facing
> the big bad internet?!
>
> * gs-sources
> "This patch [...] ensures that your mission critical servers will be
> up when you need them. [...] Where possible and without compromising
> stability we add server related performance patches. [...] In other
> words, these sources are perfect for servers and High-Availability
> systems."
>
> * hardened-sources
> "Hardened Gentoo's purpose is to make Gentoo viable for high security,
> high stability production server environments. The kernel provides
> [...] stability/security oriented patches."
>
> * wolk-sources
> It has been pointed out by Kurt Lieber that Gentoo is "in the process
> of converting all of Gentoo's infrastructure servers over to WOLK
> 4.3". If that is so, why isn't Gentoo "eating it's own dogfood"
> (gs-sources) or replacing gs-sources with wolk-sources if WOLK is
> /that/ superior?!
>
> Any hints or meanings deeply appreciated!
>

> Thorsten

Personally, I'm running most of the servers on vanilla kernel + GRSecurity
patch applied and ACL's enabled, while some other servers running WOLK-4.6s
now. Generally, I would say go for vanilla kernel with GRSecurity or SELinux,
but in case you want some special features and do not want to spend your time
on patching kernel - go with WOLK (also contains GRSecurity).

Mikhail.