Nathan,
   So, I'm tired, but am running correctly now. Downgrading the firmware
in the LinkSys firewall has solved this whole rash of problems.

   I guess I should write LinkSys and point out the problems, but why
should we accept Linux networking as being any different from Windows
networking? (I know it will be in practice.) Should someone on the Linux
side maybe try to understand what caused this? I Was using the latest
and greatest firmware from LinkSys. They could start shipping this and
then many people could have the same problems.

   Anyway, thanks much for your help.

Cheers,
Mark