hi !

I have/had the same.
My problem came from the sleep & kill in the /etc/init.d/nfs - start

nfs has a list of clients in /var/lib/nfs/xtab and in rmtab the state, I
think. And it tries to reexport the dirs somehow, but if the clients are
offline, then it hangs till the kill in /etc/init.d/nfs

my understanding is, that this /var/lib/nfs/xtab and rmtab makes it possible,
that the clients are not disturbed by a server-disconnect, they get
reconnected automatically after the server comes up again.

Nice if the server runs 24/7 but I turn my "file-server" off after use and
sometimes I turn the server down when the clients are on and then the
troubles starts. Did you kill the server befor the client?

add -v in your /etc/init.d/nfs - start function and you can see, what gets
exported:
ebegin "Exporting NFS directories"
                $exportfs -v -r 1>&2 &

I have changed my /etc/init.d/nfs -start-function to:

        if grep -q '^/' /etc/exports &>/dev/null; then
                ebegin "Killing *tab and creating rmtab"
                rm /var/lib/nfs/*tab
                touch /var/lib/nfs/rmtab
                ebegin "Exporting NFS directories"
                $exportfs -v -r 1>&2 &

and now I have no problems anymore.
If you use your NFS only at home, try it.
It works for me, but I have never tired to understand this fully.
Remeber: you loose the Client-Server-Connection if you restart nfs!

joe