On Tuesday 19 August 2003 21:57, Nicolas STURMEL wrote:
> Yuri Enshin wrote:
> > For intel SATA controller most MB's can be configured for
> > 'comaptibility' (not native) mode. In this mode, you can use one PATA
> > port and two SATA (as primary and slave), and this mode comaptible with
> > old drivers in kernel 2.4.x. On my comp (i865-based MB and  Maxtor 120GB
> > SATA) livecd gentoo kernel (2.4.20) still unbootable, but I can boot
> > with smp kernel and install gentoo, and then switch to 2.6 kernel.
>
> Are you saying that you managed to use a serial ATA disk with the ICH5
> controller and a 2.6.0 kernel ?
> What options did you activate in the kernel config ?
> Could you also give a hdparm output to see what performances serial ATA
> can achieve ?
>
> Because, I am really interested with serial ATA but I have to be sure
> about serial ATA compatibility between my I865ep motherboard ( Abit
> IS7-E ) and the linux kernel.

I have no problems with 2.6 kernel and my Asus P4P800 + Maxtor SATA drive
There is a 3 attached files: kernel config for IDE, part of dmesg output
related to IDE and drives, and hdparm -iI and -tT output (for comparision,
also results of my old HDD - IBM AVER)
<*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
<*>   Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
---     Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
[ ]     Use old disk-only driver on primary interface
<*>     Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
[ ]       Use multi-mode by default
[ ]       Auto-Geometry Resizing support
<*>     Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
< >     Include IDE/ATAPI TAPE support (EXPERIMENTAL)
< >     Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support
<*>     SCSI emulation support
[ ]     IDE Taskfile Access
[*]     IDE Taskfile IO (EXPERIMENTAL)
---     IDE chipset support/bugfixes
[ ]     CMD640 chipset bugfix/support
[ ]     PNP EIDE support
[*]     PCI IDE chipset support
[*]       Sharing PCI IDE interrupts support
[ ]       Boot off-board chipsets first support
[ ]       Generic PCI IDE Chipset Support
< >       OPTi 82C621 chipset enhanced support (EXPERIMENTAL)
< >       RZ1000 chipset bugfix/support
[*]       Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
[*]         ATA tagged command queueing (EXPERIMENTAL)
[ ]           TCQ on by default
(32)          Default queue depth
[ ]         Force enable legacy 2.0.X HOSTS to use DMA
[*]         Use PCI DMA by default when available
[ ]           Enable DMA only for disks
[ ]         ATA Work(s) In Progress (EXPERIMENTAL)
< >         AEC62XX chipset support
< >         ALI M15x3 chipset support
< >         AMD and nVidia IDE support
< >         CMD64{3|6|8|9} chipset support
< >         Compaq Triflex IDE support
< >         CY82C693 chipset support
< >         Cyrix CS5510/20 MediaGX chipset support (VERY EXPERIMENTAL)
< >         Cyrix/National Semiconductor CS5530 MediaGX chipset support
< >         HPT34X chipset support
< >         HPT36X/37X chipset support
< >         National SCx200 chipset support
<*>         Intel PIIXn chipsets support
< >         NS87415 chipset support
< >         PROMISE PDC202{46|62|65|67} support
< >         PROMISE PDC202{68|69|70|71|75|76|77} support
< >         ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5/CSB6 chipsets support
< >         Silicon Image chipset support
< >         SiS5513 chipset support
< >         SLC90E66 chipset support
< >         Tekram TRM290 chipset support
< >         VIA82CXXX chipset support
[*]     IGNORE word93 Validation BITS
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
ICH5: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1
PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:1f.1 (0005 -> 0007)
ICH5: chipset revision 2
ICH5: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfc00-0xfc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc08-0xfc0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: IC35L040AVER07-0, ATA DISK drive
PM: Adding info for No Bus:ide0
Using anticipatory scheduling elevator
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
PM: Adding info for ide:0.0
hdc: YAMAHA CRW-F1E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
PM: Adding info for No Bus:ide1
hdd: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-105S 013, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
PM: Adding info for ide:1.0
PM: Adding info for ide:1.1
ICH5-SATA: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.2
ICH5-SATA: chipset revision 2
ICH5-SATA: 100% native mode on irq 18
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xef60-0xef67, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xef68-0xef6f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hde: Maxtor 6Y120M0, ATA DISK drive
PM: Adding info for No Bus:ide2
ide2 at 0xefe0-0xefe7,0xefae on irq 18
PM: Adding info for ide:2.0
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 80418240 sectors (41174 MB) w/1916KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63, UDMA(100)
 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3 p4
hde: max request size: 128KiB
hde: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=65535/16/63, UDMA(33)
 /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3
end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 0
hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
~ # hdparm -iI /dev/hde

/dev/hde:

 Model=Maxtor 6Y120M0, FwRev=YAR51BW0, SerialNo=Y3JVJJQE
 Config={ Fixed }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
 BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=7936kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=240121728
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes:  pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes:  mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
 UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2
 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
 Drive conforms to: (null):

 * signifies the current active mode

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       Maxtor 6Y120M0
        Serial Number:      Y3JVJJQE
        Firmware Revision:  YAR51BW0
Standards:
        Supported: 7 6 5 4
        Likely used: 7
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   16383
        heads           16      16
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  240121728
        device size with M = 1024*1024:      117246 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:      122942 MBytes (122 GB)
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Queue depth: 1
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x0000)
        Recommended acoustic management value: 192, current value: 192
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 udma6
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    NOP cmd
           *    READ BUFFER cmd
           *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Write cache
           *    Power Management feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    SMART feature set
           *    FLUSH CACHE EXT command
           *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
                SET MAX security extension
                Advanced Power Management feature set
           *    DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
           *    SMART self-test
           *    SMART error logging
Security:
        Master password revision code = 65534
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
                frozen
        not     expired: security count
        not     supported: enhanced erase
Checksum: correct

~ # hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   2536 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1266.93 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  114 MB in  3.01 seconds =  37.93 MB/sec

~ # hdparm -t /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   2520 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1259.56 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  168 MB in  3.03 seconds =  55.53 MB/sec