El mi? 20-08-2003 a las 03:29, Patrick Yager escribió:
> I have purchased the Gentoo cds from their online store for my system.  In the
> printed instructions that came with the cds there are two different drivers listed
> for my ATI 8500DV video card:  ati-drivers and xfree-drm.  Which one of these is
> going to be the best option for me if I want to play a few games (i.e. Quake3 and
> Neverwinter Nights)?
>
> The definitions are as follows:  ati-drivers = accelerated ATI Radeon 8500+/FireGL
> graphics for XFree86, and xfree-drm Accelerated graphics for ATI Radeon up to 9200,
> Rage 128, Matrox, Voodoo and other cards for XFree86.
>
> Are there any other hints you guys can offer to get my Radeon up and running for the
> games?  (i.e. configs, hints, etc.)
>

> Thanks!

I highly recommend the xfree-drm drivers for a few reasons.
The most important one is that this drivers are open source. I have used
both drivers and there was no difference in performance at all, but with
ati-drivers I got a very poor video quality (notice that it was a beta
version).

Anyway the best way to decide is to install both of them and try some
playing. Then decide what performs better.

Bye.

PD: I have a radeon 9000 running excelent with xfree-drm.
UnrealTournament rules!!! ;)