I always do emerge -UD world

Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:

Hi,

how can I make sure my gentoo is completely up to date? I run 'emerge
sync' and 'emerge -u world' on a regular basis, but how can I make sure
that updating "world" really updates everything? For example, I can see
that the installed baselayout package is not the most recent version
available. Also my /etc/gentoo-release hasn't updated since I have installed gentoo.

Is there a command to list packages that are installed, but not included in the "world"?

I have read through the manuals and the faq, but no help...

BR,
Teemu