>> The fastest any device will ever run on that channel will be whatever
>> the slowest device is.  So even if you never use the CD/DVD drive,
>> your hard drive will be limited to the speed of the CD/DVD drive.
>>
>I don't believe this is true any more.
>
>hda - ATA133
>hdb - ATA66
>hdc - ATA133
>hdd - PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-105 (/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd)
>
>hdparm -t /dev/hda
>/dev/hda:
> Timing buffered disk reads:  124 MB in  3.03 seconds =  40.92 MB/sec
>
>hdparm -t /dev/hdb
>/dev/hdb:
> Timing buffered disk reads:   38 MB in  3.14 seconds =  12.10 MB/sec
>
>hdparm -t /dev/hdc
>/dev/hdc:
> Timing buffered disk reads:  126 MB in  3.02 seconds =  41.72 MB/sec
>
>Peter
>--

hmmm - I wonder if that is a recent change? I'm still on 2.4.20 and this is
my hdparm -v -i

UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4
UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5

First is my 13 gig primary and second is my 30 gig secondary. I'll have to
triple check the cable when I get home to make sure that's not the bottle
neck.  I know the board will do ata/100 since I had that drive on the other
channel before I bought a dvd drive and it was doing it there.