>    From some of what I've heard, most parts of Europe have
> their networks
> publicly owned still, so within a single country it should be fairly
> consistent.  No idea on how well that would work travelling between
> countries, though.

Phone jacks and 220V plugs are typically different between European
countries...  IIRC in some cases different countries use the same
jack, but wire it differently!  You can get a travel kit at a good
(European?) electronics store, or at an electronics store at an
airport.

I would expect you can find publically accessible (privately hosted)
WiFi hotspots at all major European cities.  But, again, regulations
concerning WiFi are different between European countries.  They differ
in channels allowed, licensing, and if you are allowed to use it
outside of a building (as if the radio waves will stop at the
walls...).

Any Italians or French out on this list?

Gwendolyn.