i installed gentoo for the first time (from stage1) & did it like in the user
doc's on www.gentoo.org... everything worked just fine, i had no problems
during installation, but when it comes to the first boot of my new gentoo
system i was depressed instead of impressed... i got a kernel panic!

what is the cause of this? just before the kernel panic usb was detected.
but what in the process of usb detection causes the system to hang? i have
nothing attached on my usb-ports, keyboard & mouse are on PS/2...

can someone give me a hint?     (see below the last messages on screen)

regards,
martin

last messages on the screen:
----------------------------

---begin---

---- Beginning usb detection
---- Scanning for usbcore...usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
---- detected usbcore hardware
---- Scanning for uhci...uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface \
driver v1.1
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1400, IRQ 9
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1c00, IRQ 11
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
---- Detected uhci hardware
---- Scanning for hid...usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
---- Detected hid hardware
---- Scanning for usb-storage...Initializing USB mass storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
---- Detected usb-storage hardware
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

---end---