Patrick,

> I have a laptop, and each place i come has different setting for
> DHCP, wireless, mount points and so on.
>
> Is it possible at boot time to choose where i am, and so activate
> thoose settings. I was thinking of several entries in my grub.conf
> and add something like this.
>
> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda5 hdc=ide-scsi place=work1
>
> But where can i grab the "place" variable ?

Did you ever find the messages in the archives?  The subject line was:
"startup while not connected to the net", but I used it to manage connecting
to two different nets and built the options into my grub multi-boot list
(the first two):
Gentoo Navy Net
Gentoo Rack Test
SuSE
RedHat

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll try to recreate it (I've deleted
the original message).

In Harmony's Way, and In A Chord,

Tom  :-})

Thomas A. Condon
Barbershop Bass Singer
Registered Linux User #154358
Interfere not in the business of Dragons,
For you are crunchy when flamed and taste good.