On Monday 25 August 2003 09:39 pm, Redmond Militante wrote:
> hi
>
> when i do
>
> [Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:30:52PM -0400]
>
> This one time, at band camp, Ernie Schroder said:
> > Assuming your cdrom device is IDE and not SCSI, hopefully you know
> > where on the bus it is.
> > As root do:
> > dmesg | grep hd
> > On my machine I get:
> > Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda5
> >     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
> >     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> > hda: Maxtor 6Y080P0, ATA DISK drive
> > hdc: ATAPI 50X CDROM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> > hdd: LITE-ON LTR-32123S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> > hda: 160086528 sectors (81964 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=9964/255/63
> >
> > Note that I have a cdrom drive at /dev/hdc and a CR-RW at /dev/hdd
> >
> > Let's say, for instance your CD-ROM is at /dev/hdc or master on the
> > secondary channel. Put a data cd in the drive and, as root do:
> >
> > # mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
> > No output means that the drive is mounted if you get errors,
> > probably not depending on the disk you may need to specify a file
> > system. At any rate, post your /etc/fsab and we can probably fix
> > you up
> > --
> > Regards, Ernie
> > 100% Microsoft and Intel free
>
> dmesg | grep hd gives me
> Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda12 ro
> hda: IBM-DARA-206000, ATA disk ddrive
> hda: enabling Ultra DMA 4
> hda: attached ide-disk driver
> hda: host protected area=>1
> hda: 11733120 sectors (6007 mb) w/418KiB Cache, CHS=12416/15/63
>
> my /etc/fstab looks like

> #NOTE: if your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
> opts. #/dev/BOOT /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 1
> /dev/hda12 / ext3 noatime 0 0
> /dev/hda11 none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
>
> thanks
> redmond
>
> > --

It seems strange to me that dmesg is not showing any cd-rom device. Make
sure that it is indeed plugged in and determine where on the bus it is.
hda = primary channel master
hdb = primary channel slave
hdc = secondary channel master and
hdd = secondary channel slave.
Then try changing your /etc/fstab line for the cdrom to:
/dev/hdx                /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,users,ro         0 0
where x = the letter b,c,or d from above.
If you can't mount the cdrom device afer rebooting, check dmesg for
messages re: the hdx. If none of this helps, your kernel is probably
missing cdrom support. check your kernel config again and get back to
the list. Sorry I can't be of more help but the "/dev/crom/crom0" from
your orriginal post smacked of a typo. Beyond this, I'm lost. Anyone
else have some help for Redmond?