Did a manual kernel recompile as someone had suggested and now I
am one step closer but am still not getting the boot. Current
error msg is:

VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem).
VFS: Cannot open root device "cciss/c0d0p3" or 68:03
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 68:03

I have changed the root= between the cciss/c0d0p3 and the
cciss/disk0/part3 with no luck. It mounts it so it sees it long
enough to do that then decides it can't open it. Any ides from
anyone? Friday is my deadline now to get this box working or
switch to redhat. I would much rather use Gentoo than RH. But as
far as management is consirned I have just wasted 1.5 weeks
trying this linux distro rather than one they know works...