This is probably a silly question, but I haven't found an answer yet (I'm
rather new to gentoo, only using it since July, so don't hit me too hard).

How do portage determines where a certain package has to be installed (eg, /,
/usr, /usr/local, /opt or whatever)?

As an example, one month ago or so, I emerged xmame, and the executable
"xmame" ended up in /usr/bin/xmame. After some time, an "emerge -up world"
told me that a new version was out, so I emerged it. This time the executable
was installed in /usr/games/bin, and so I had to reconfigure the graphical
frontend to point to the right path. I was expecting that, if the files of
some package reside in a certain set of directories (although I don't know
how these are determined), subsequent updates of the package would follow the
old paths, but that's not the case, AFAICS.

Where are these installation paths stored, or how are they determined?
The ebuild script for xmame itself references two variables, $GAMES_DATADIR
and $GAMES_BINDIR, but I haven't been able to find where they are defined (of
course, the question is more general than this specific case).

Another question: how can one find out what package a given file belongs to?
I mean, even if the package is not installed. This happen to me rather often,
when some programs tells me that it needs the program "foo", and I have to
figure out what package contains "foo", so I can emerge it.

Thanks,
Davide