Rudmer van Dijk wrote:
On Friday 29 August 2003 19:21, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

Andrew Gaffney wrote:

iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.254.0/24 -p all -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -P INPUT DROP

Correct?

Something I forgot to mention is that there is a 2nd interface: ppp0. I have a ppp dial-in server set up for my use. I have a few iptables rules set up to NAT stuff from ppp0 out through eth0. Will the above rules interfere with that?

not really, but do you want to block local machines? if you only want to block outside connections then you can use something like the following.

Rudmer

---

# allow forwarding
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state NEW -i ! ppp0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -i ! ppp0 -j ACCEPT
# masquerade local -> internet connections
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
# maximize ssh response
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp --sport ssh -j TOS --set-tos Minimize-Delay

# accept ssh, web and mail connections
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport http -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport smtp -j ACCEPT
# set policy for chains
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
# enable and masquerade forwarded packages
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
# disable ExplicitCongestionNotification
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

You misunderstand. With your example, I believe you have ppp0 as the external connection and eth0 acting as the internal connection to the LAN. ppp0 is not the internet connection. eth0 is connected to a router that is connected to a T1. I want to allow all traffic to and from ppp0 and masquerade anything from ppp0 out to the LAN/internet through eth0. I want anything incoming connections into eth0 with a source address of 192.168.254.0/24 to be allow through. Anything other incoming connections into eth0 (from the internet) I want to be blocked unless it is for port 22, 25, or 80.

-- Andrew Gaffney