Hello.

I have a problem with sounds and KDE.

I have ALSA compiled in as per instructions, and sound works perfectly
from XMMS and ogg123... However, on KDE startup, I get the following
message:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such file or directory)
The sound server will continue to use the null output device

However, as reported earlier, if I start XMMS music works fine.

There is no file/directory called /dev/dsp

Machine details:
Linux io 2.4.22 #1 Thu Aug 28 12:47:55 NZST 2003 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.10

kde-3.1.3

alsa-lib-0.9.6
alsa-oss-0.9.6
alsa-driver-0.9.6
alsa-utils-0.9.6-r1

xmms-1.2.7-r25
alsa-xmms-0.9.12

/bin/ls: /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Any help in getting sound working in KDE would be very much appreciated.

TIA
Ash

--

Ash Varma
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

... The prejudices people feel about each other disappear when then get
to know each other.
                -- Kirk, "Elaan of Troyius", stardate 4372.5