Hi,

beginner questions:

I don't have problem with the gentoo kernel, can that be related with
the hardware you have? Are you comparing the same kernel version for
gentoo and vanilla (that can matter I guess)?

my experience:

When I installed gentoo I had several kernel panics and they were
related to the configuration of the kernel compilation, tha is by far
the more difficult stuff for a beginner like me.

alb