I was wondering if anyone has tried to build a kiosk Gentoo system?

I need to build out a touchscreen system running linux which boots a minimal
install, loads X - does an autologin and starts an application. I have built a
RedHat box which can do this but would much rather use Gentoo since I like it
alot and I can control what gets installed.

I have gotten my Gentoo distro up and running with touch on the required
hardware for the project but I was wondering what do I need besides Xfree in
order to accomplish my task?

I was reading about gdm which has a built in autologin feature but it requires
GNOME or at least it tells me it does when I do the emerge. I used gdm on my
RedHat box to get the autologin to work but it seems like overkill for what I'm
trying to accomplish.

I also looked online and found a couple good articles but they all refered to
RedHat which I will try to garnish information from but any real world help
would be great.