Don't know anything about hpijs, but the latest gimp-print drivers no longer generate ppd files. You must USE="ppds" to generate these files, or use foomatic to generate the ppd file for your printer.

You can see it if you emerge -vp hpijs:

[ebuild N ] net-print/hpijs-1.4.1 +cups +foomaticdb -ppds

   regards
   Jose

Mark Johanson wrote:

Have installed cups, hpijs, foomatic. Problem is when i go to
add a printer everything goes great until its time to choose the
model of printer. There is nothing listed but the default cups
driver. While this works for a couple of printers (ie black and
white no frills), the problem comes when I need to set up for a
laserjet 5500, 8000, 4000,4150, etc... There are no listings for
them. Only thing listed there is CUPS v1.1 for the deskjet,
laser jet, and new deskjet series....

Where are the drivers installed by hpijs? How do I make them show up in cups?

All the printers are network printers with internal jetdirect cards. So setting them up isn't a issue beyond the drivers and associated configuration allowed by them...