From: Richard Kilgore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X doesn't run
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:25:40 -0500

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:12:44PM +0000, rambo jr wrote:
> Hi,
> thanks to Andrew, after deleting .xinitrc and adding XSESSION="wmaker" in
> /etc/rc.conf i am finally able to run wmaker,but its resolution is really
> very bad and i have no idea how to correct it.
> Secondly when i tried to run kde it gives me kdeinit error and says that
> its not able to find libGL.so.1 files, i don't understand why because i
> have already emerged kdelibs.
> Any suggestion regarding these two problem?
>
> rj

I have the following libraries on my machine:

    /usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib/libGL.so.1.2
    /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1.0.4363

hi, my system also have following libraries:
/usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib/libGL.so.1.2
/usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib/libGL.so.1

and /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 is a soft link to
/usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/

# ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
lrwxr-xr-x     /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/

but the kde config is unable to find libGL.so.1 , i have no idea how to slove that problem,
and wmaker is running fine rt now...

any clue what might be the problem ??

RJ

and /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 is a soft link:

# ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx [ snip ] /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1.0.4363

and if I query for the owners of the library files, I get:

# qpkg -f /usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib/libGL.so.1.2 ; qpkg -f /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1.0.4363
x11-base/xfree *
media-video/nvidia-glx *

So if you have an NVidia video card (or builtin) have you
installed nvidia-glx?  And if not, do you have these files as
part of xfree?

I also notice that my /etc/ld.so.conf file contains the line:

/usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib

If you have Nvidia and yours doesn't, you might try adding it,
and then running (as root):

# ldconfig

If none of this works, can you provide any more info?

- richard

> >From: Andrew Gaffney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X doesn't run
> >Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 11:07:59 -0500
> >
> >rambo jr wrote:
> >>
> >>Hi,
> >> Since the install file says that CD1 contains everything needed to run X
> >>so first i tried it without installing windowmaker, but since it didn't
> >>work i also installed windowmaker :-) but it dodn't work... but there is
> >>no .xinitrc file :-(
> >>i will create that file and try again..
> >
> >Try changing the XSESSION at the botton of /etc/rc.conf. Changing it to
> >XSESSION="Xsession" should at least get you started.
> >
> >--
> >Andrew Gaffney
> >

> >--

Richard Kilgore