This is blatantly OT, but in the last few weeks I've managed to get global DNS sorted for my /29 home LAN and my stroller.uk.eu.org domain (& for my various hosts in that domain!). If you are always-on with a static IP address, and want a little project then I'd highly recommend it - getting my own domain name with the ability to fully administrate it on my own Gentoo Bind server, for a total cost of £0 (that's $0, zilch, nada, nothing) really appealed to the Lancastrian chromosomes I got from my father. Check out http://eu.org for scanty details.

There is a problem, however: my secondary DNS services are currently being provided by Granite Canyon, and as explained in this URL <http://tinyurl.com/melw> (if you're really interested) it seems I can't get them carry reverse-lookups for me. This shouldn't matter, but it's bugging me.

My solution to this is to try & find someone else to host my secondary, but I don't seem to be able to find other organisation that does free DNS with zone transfers. I think this is what is required for me to retain central control over somemachine.stroller.uk.eu.org someothermachine.stroller.uk.eu.org &c ad infinitum.

I have contemplated doing a secondary swap with someone at http://ns2exchange.com/thelist.asp but I don't know anyone there. I'm sure they're all reliable people, but I'm extremely conscious that don't want a secondary who isn't going to disappear on me when they decide to reinstall or move ISP (& IP address).

It occurred to me, then, that I trust & feel I can rely on members of the Gentoo community:
Does anyone here run their own Bind server, who wants to host DNS secondary for me, on an exchange basis..?

I was getting uptimes in monthly figures when my server was on Mandrake, and I don't see how that should change significantly since I migrated it to Gentoo a couple of months ago, so you're likely to get reliable service from me. If there was enough interest, we could even form the Unofficial Gentoo-User Secondary-DNS Cabal (tm) which would, with several of us providing secondary DNS for each other, provide pretty reasonable redundancy, I reckon.

Any offers, or comments..?

Stroller.