this is not making much sense,here what i have :
#ls -l libGL.so.1
lrwxr-xr-x libGL.so.1 -> /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/
#cd /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib
#ls
libGL.la
#ls -l libGL.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Aug 26 00:00 libGL.la -> ../../xfree/lib/libGL.la
# cd ../../xfree/lib/
# ls -l libGL.la
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 777 Sep 6 11:25 libGL.la

also these r the files i have in /usr/lib/opengl/xfree/lib
#ls
libGL.a  libGL.la  libGL.so  libGL.so.1  libGL.so.1.2  libMesaGL.so
ls -l libGL.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx  libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2
ls -l libGL.so.1.2
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root     root      581628 Sep  6 11:25  libGL.so.1.2

Iam not sure if above lines makes any sense to anyone but I am _VERY_ disappointed by this problem, not angry but disappointed, isn't all these files suppose to have installed when i did kde, isn't this something similar to rpm hell that we see in RH ,I think we can discuss this later on...i didn't expected something like this....if someone doesn't agery with me then pls tell me why iam not able to run kde once i did emerge kde?
one more thing ..when i did emerge opengl there was this warning this line that i have noted down:
BEWARE 1
The version of XFree won't work with ati-drivers-2.51-r1, if u r using them then please unmerge ati-drivers and emerge xfree-drm

so even though i have a ATI card i didn't install emerge ati-drivers or ati-gatos....and yes just to keep the topic on track i am able to run wmaker but not kde..

RJ