Ted Satcher ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> Hello,
>   My new gentoo install is hanging during the
> boot with a kernel panic (attempted to kill init).
> It occurs during or after the USB detection messages
> during the boot.  I've built the gentoo-sources
> with genkernel and have tried several other sources
> including vanilla-sources (genkernel exited with an
> error).  How can I track down what's happening?
> Is there an easy fix to some config file or is there a
> log file somewhere that will give me more info on
> what's going on?  Thanks for the help.
> -Bubba

1.) are you compiling all features statically or as modules?

2.) are you booting off of scsi?

3.) are you trying to do anything unusual?

4.) can you boot off of a live cd, mount the root partition, and
find an error msg near the end of <mnt-pnt>/var/log/messages ?

For #4, this command may help:

# tail -n 300 <mnt-pnt>/var/log/messages | less

it'll give you the most recent 300 lines of the system log and allow you
to scroll through it..

/var/log/messages is where all the system messages are stored. <mnt-pnt>
is some location on the live filesystem where you put the root directory
of the hard drive.  eg. /mnt/gentoo from the install process.

Sorry if I was big-bird/cookie-monstering the instructions, it's the
military in me.  Nothing personal, just being thorough (sp?) :)

Cooper.