On Tuesday 09 September 2003 02:11, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2003 12:13 pm, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 September 2003 00:25, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > > I've been googling and checking man pages for a couple of days
> > > now and I am not finding the answer. I want a shell script to
> > > send an email to root when complete. Currently the mail appears
> > > in
> > > /root/dead.letter and running a mail, Mail or mailx command
> > > results in the following error:
> > >
> > > send-mail: 550 Sender address is invalid
> > >
> > > There's obviously a config file I'm missing or need to edit but
> > > I'll be damned if I can find it.
> >
> > What smtp daemon are you using?
>
> It seems to be ssmtp I see a heavily commented config file
> (/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf) I've spent some time playing with it but
> haven't had any luck. Still getting similar errors

<yawns> (just woke up)

Maybe try postfix? I don't know what the configuration of ssmtp is like. With
postfix, simple to semi-complex configurations are quite easy.

From the ssmtp.ebuild:
DESCRIPTION="Extremely simple MTA to get mail off the system to a Mailhub"

ssmtp is installed by default if any package requires an MTA. Looking at the
description, I'd say ssmtp is incapable of deciding what to do with a mail
itself and so gives you the 550 error.

Regards,
Jason