On 09/08/03  Andrew Farmer wrote:

> It seems that Python 2.3's been out for a while now and there's still
> no ebuild for it. Does this mean that some folks in the Gentoo
> dungeons are still hacking on portage to make it work with 2.3, or
> just that nobody's written an ebuild yet? Will anything horrible
> happen if I just inject 2.3 by hand?

There is a bug for python-2.3 on bugs.gentoo.org, look there for the
outstanding issues. Out of my head there only needs to be some decisions
about compile options and some fixing of python scripts/modules, but I
think Alastair can better comment on this.

> Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting 2.3 in portage for:
>       - Sets
>       - Subclassable builtins (roll-your-own dictionaries)
>       - Improved runtime speed
> though I'm not sure how much these improvements will help. I do some
> python development myself, so I'd like to be able to make the upgrade,
> if only for my own sake...

Yep, it's also annoying if you code something and when you try it you
notice it's only available in 2.3 (had this several times).

Marius

--
Public Key at http://www.genone.de/info/gpg-key.pub

In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.