On Tuesday 09 September 2003 06:45 pm, Alan wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 06:33:55PM -0500, John Crabtree wrote:
> > I'm looking at installing Gentoo using VMware 4.0, is there a HOWTO
> > that explains how to do this?  Or can someone who has already
> > installed Gentoo using VMware 4.0 spare some time to explain what I
> > need to do. Thank you
>
> I haven't installed it under vmware 4.0 specifically (think it was
> 3.x) but it works pretty much as expected if you are familiar with
> vmware. Set up a new vmware session and point the CDrom to either
> your real CD with a gentoo live boot cd in it or point it to an ISO
> image, boot the vmware session, if it doesn't boot then check to make
> sure that it's set to boot from CD in the bios, reboot, and you
> should get the live CD booting up.
>
> If you're wondering more specifically about what devices to use, etc,
> I recall that the vmware network interface will use the pcnet32
> module, and for video there is an XFree driver on the vmware site
> that you can stick in with the other drivers in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers. After the vmware module is in place,
> change the driver in the /etc/XF86Config file to be "vmware" restart
> gdm and off you go!
>
> Other than knowing those three things though, it's exactly like a
> gentoo install on a real system:
>  - point cd to real CD or ISO and set to boot
>  - vmware ethernet uses pcnet32
>  - vmware xfree86 has it's own module
>
> HTH, let me know if you've got any other vmware+gentoo questions.
>
> alan

I just did a 4.0 install, and the only thing Alan didn't mention that
might throw you is the vmware hard drive. You need scsi support in your
kernel and the Buslogic device driver compiled in as well. When booting
from the Gentoo 1.4 cd you'll want to specify the 'doscsi' option, and
the drive is referenced as sda (ex. sda1=/boot, sda2=swap, etc).

Email if you'd like my .config.

Dave