tips:
1. look for a local mirror - for reliability not speed.

2. if you get the chance, download the required binaries elsewhere and
burn to CD.  Copy to /usr/portage/distfiles so they are already present.

3. if you have a local rsync service, use that instead.  For large
files, copy the previous version over to the new name and rsync it.
gains vary wildly, but in some cases can be very worthwhile.  Also
corrupted files seem to occur occasionally over http/ftp: rsync fixes
them.  However, rsync has an overhead on new files that can be
unacceptable, so I experimented with setting resume to rsync, but it
failed as portage does not seem to use smart URL service allocation.

4. there was a "delta" project going, but I havent heard of it for
awhile (just updates differences)

5. bandwidth limit the connection, either in rsync or wget:
--limit-rate=4k gives me ~1.5kb for surfing etc.  As the rate limiting
is very "chunky", this works well.  Rsync can really choke a modem
connection if there is little load on the far end.

6. use emerge -f to download all required files ahead of time and then
build at once.  While this seems like it will take the same time, it
makes supervising the process easier and less troublesome

I have a couple of machines including a laptop that I keep up to date at
work.  When I get home, the tar.bzips drain onto my main machine which
nfs (though recently I had to serve via rsync due to network probs - bad
cable somewhere) serve them out to the home network.

One limitation that I have found is that portage leaves URL
interpretation (http, ftp, rsync) up to the download application.  So if
you want to use either rsync, ftp or http, depending on what the mirror
allows, you are out of luck.

BillK