On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:45:02 +0200, in gmane.linux.gentoo.user, Dirk
Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Am Montag, 8. September 2003 20:16 schrieb Bryan Feir:
>> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 05:45:32PM +0200, Heribert Slama wrote:
>> > When I modify a user entry with KDE's User Management and finally
>> > save the changes, I get warning dialogs (something like "no shadow
>> > entry for user <user>") for _every_ user and have to click them
>> > away;-(
>>
>>    This is because the passwd and shadow files have to be kept in sync,
>> with the same lines in both.  Every time you create a new user, it has to
>> create a new entry in both passwd and shadow files.  Once the entry in
>> the shadow file exists, though, you shouldn't keep getting these.
>
>And the command to do this is /usr/sbin/pwconv.

Thank you for the advice. shadow is much shorter here than passwd:-(
Mostly entries for services are missing even though they are marked
'x' in the password field of passwd. Hopefully I can tell pwconv
that they don't need a password.

This shadow stuff was _not_ present in the system I installed back
in ~Oct '02. It "arrived" in May '03 (shadow) and July '03
(pam-login) with 2 new config files login.access and login.defs. I
was completely unaware of them until now:-((

The most important dependency - the user's brain<g> - is treated
rather badly by emerge. Sometimes there are colorful Warnings and
Notices written to the screen when an ebuild completes, but they get
easily pushed off the screen by the next ebuild. Emerge should give
important information ("must review your config", "new functions",
"side effects on other package xxx") etc. before anything is done!

Best regards,
        -Heribert

--
Heribert Slama