On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 07:08, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:17:00 -0400
> donnie berkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 19:02, Svein Harald Soleim wrote:
<snip>
> > > dream but some other programs compline about
> > > error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open
> > > shared object file: No such file or directory

Do you have the libGLU files? Do a ls -l /usr/lib/libGLU* and see if the
.so.1 symlink has been created. On my box:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Aug 31 03:38
/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 -> libGLU.so.1.3

$ qpkg -f -v /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1
x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r3 *

It may be possible that the libGLU.so.1 symlink wasn't setup right, even
though you have the actual libGLU.so.1.x library installed.

> I find this quite banal.  It seems that the most common recommendation
> (without any justification or reference to bugs) is to re-emerge
> <pick-a-package>.  If xfree didn't emerge properly the first time, why
> would it work now?

Well it does seem like an error in the xfree install process, so with a
re-emerge you should be able to end up with a proper install, a reported
error in making the symlink, or (if no error is reported) a bug for that
version of the ebuild. I think a re-emerge is often useful, but in your
case some investigation is probably worthwhile.

Good Luck,

Doug