On Monday 15 September 2003 16:58, Joshua Banks wrote:
> bash-2.05b# emerge  libungif
> Calculating dependencies ...done!

<snip>

> * You had the gif USE flag set, so it is assumed that you want
>  * the binary from giflib instead.  Please make sure you have
>  * giflib emerged.  Otherwise, unset the gif flag and remerge this

>  * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
>
> I already have media-libs/giflib emerged:
> Latest version available: 4.1.0-r3
>       Latest version installed: 4.1.0-r3
>       Size of downloaded files: 294 kB
>
> So now I'm assuming that since make.conf USE section is commented with #
> then its using make.profile and sourcing make.defaults? NO?
>
> Alittle confused now as to why it's looking here when I don't remember
> making this file or making a symlink to this file..Is your system setup
> like this?
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           39 Sep 11 17:42 make.profile ->
> ../usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-1.4
>
> So if its using this file below then whats the use of make.conf?

<snip>

> Do I just leave everthing alone and try and emerge KDEgraphics again or
> should I go into the file above and UNSET "gif"?

make.conf is used to override the defaults for the architecture (or more
specifically the profile). The link above was set when you extracted your
stage[1..3] tarball. You should never edit anything in /usr/portage because
it'll just get overwritten when you emerge sync.

As for giflib and libungif, libungif provides functionality that giflib
already contains. The ebuild is aware of this and (I'm guessing) links
against giflib instead of using its own implementation.

It seems, from the error messages you first provided, that kdegraphics
requires libungif regardless of the use flags but that the ebuild doesn't
show the explicit dependency. If you now try to emerge kdegraphics and it
works, then that is definately the case and thus a bug report is required...

Make sense?

Jason