On Monday 15 September 2003 18:37, Joshua Banks wrote:
> Hey Jason,
>
> What does -* do in the USE section of make.conf? Isn't that like saying
> "don't use any variables".??

The USE declaration is parsed one word at a time. The first word (meaning
string of chars separated by whitespace) is -*. When portage encounters it,
portage clears all USE flags it's picked up from
/etc/make.profile/make.defaults and wherever else. The shell still takes
precedence over /etc/make.conf however. I've only done this because sometimes
there are small changes to make.defaults which of course aren't advertised.
Sometimes I use emerge depclean and this way I can be sure that nothing will
break due to use flags (unless it's because of my own negligence).

Jason