On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:23:07 +0100
Steven Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying to replace a Mandake installation on my server/firewall
> machine with a Gentoo system, and am slowly emerging  things up from a
> stage 1, but have hit a problem with the name server using bind.
>
> On the machine I am installing Gentoo on, name lookups work properly.
> But when I try to do a lookup from another machine on my local network
> tcpdump shows that the udp packet is being rejected.  An ICMP packet is
> sent back with "udp port domain is unreachable".
>
> This may be a problem with shorewall...

To settle the matter about shorewall, just change your Shorewall conf/rules
temporarily to log all reject actions instead of quietly dropping them.  Analyze
the log, and you will quickly see whether Shorewall has anything to do with the
problem.  If so, then you have the data (src, destination, ports, etc.) to
cobble new rules.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the