You could just run FTP on your "server", and update the distfiles on it (by
rsync or FTP) whenever necessary, and set all the other machines to use it as
a mirror (making it the first entry in the "GENTOO_MIRRORS" line in
"make.conf").

Not really the answer you're looking for though.

Can't blame me for trying *noob* :)

Ross