        This is rather puzzling for me because I use SMP, for which APM is
disabled by the kernel due to lack of hardware support. ACPI, however,
works but does not seem to contain any monitor-specific features such as
blanking and standby. I do remember, though, having the system
configured to send the screen into standby mode on my SMP box, but I've
forgotten how that worked.
        The kernel does mention that if both ACPI and APM are enabled, the one
that loads first is used. I do not have APM enabled for the reasons
shown above...
        Are there any solutions for my case in addition to the one proposed in
the beginning of the thread?