Jason Rogers wrote:

I once used etc-update without knowing exactly what I was doing and in
the process overwrote my network startup script(s).  I have been able to
recover from that, however every time I logon for the first time I now
have to run dhcpcd to get the network to come up (be configured?).  I
have looked through a lot of documentation but I am still confused as to
how to get this to start automatically now.  I don't want to do something
else that will mess up the system again, so I thought I would post it
here first.

I think that I have to run this command "rc-update add net.XXX default"
where "XXX" is the name of my interface.  Is that so?  Or do I need to
run "rc-update add dhcpcd default" or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance.

If you look in your /etc/init.d dir, you won't find a dhcpcd script, but you will find a net.ethx script. So the answer is rc-update add net.ethx

=)

Fred Clausen