Dane Elwell wrote:

That file is /etc/issue.

Dane,

Many thanks for your response!!

A quick look at /etc/issue in both the effected machine and one of the uneffected ones shows the following difference:

Effected machine: This is \n. \O (\s \m \r) \t
Uneffected machine: This is \n. \o (\s \m \r) \t

Changing the "O" to "o" fixes the problem.

Since I used the very latest livecd to do this particular install and since there are no differences whatsoever on either machine in their respective /etc/hostname files, I'm wondering if the latest materials are generating an error of this kind routinely. It's my sense that the developers ought to know about this matter. I'll report it as a bug and let them make the call as to whether it merits further attention.

Anyway, thanks for helping to lend uniformity to my network. :-)

John Lowell